Thursday, March 19, 2009

Grandma and Me....Magical Memories

The unforgetable moments with Grandma all come flooding back to me with her passing. I had so much fun with my Grandma Baker and learned so much form her. I'll never forget that time at Grandmas house with my cousins Lisa, Diana, Hannah, and my sister Kaite when Grandma seeing that we needed something to do handed us the keys to her car, not realizing our young age. We happily concented but before we could get away my wonderful mother stepped in and ruined all our fun. Although we could not drive Grandma insistened that we go to the park, and decided to drive us herself. Upon arrival however we found the gate locked. None of us expected the angry reaction from Grandma. "SHIT!" She exclamied. We all busted a gut and Grandma soon joined in. It was one moment I'll share forever with my Grandma and just us girls.
Grandma was never one to waist time. When she wanted something done she didn't wait around for help, she began the task herself. She was always cleaning out her sheds, getting wood in, and tending to her yard. She loved having her yard nice. She taught me the importance of appearence. Not only with property but with yourself as well. We were having a ward party once in witch the younger people were invited to wear pajamas. Well Grandma happened to be here at that time and she refused to let me go in mine. My Dad agreed with her of course, but he was surpirsed to get the same result when he tried to wear a baggy pair of shorts and a big shirt to take her home once. Grandma could not beleive that he was honestly going dressed like that. She just kept shaking her head and looking away. Dad and I just laughed.
I could always count on Grandma to make me laugh, and I appreciate her cousel now even if I didn't at the time she gave it to me. She told me not to cut my hair once. I did it anyway. Shoulda listened. I came back and she laughed and laughed and when she could get a breath she told me how terrible it looked and how sorry she felt for me. I didn't appriciate that peice of advice but now I look back at it with a smile.
Grandma had a lot of spunk and was very sure about herself. She told me once that she had some SEXY legs when she was my age, and long beautiful eyelashes that she cut off once hopeing they would grow back longer. "Don't try it". She'd said. I will always miss looking at Grandma's short little eyelashes and fighting back a smile.
It was always a treat going to Grandma's house because she always had candy and she had T.V. I loved watching the cowboy shows with her or just any show with her. It never mattered what you were watching with Grandma, she was never quiet during a t.v. show she'd oooo and ahhh and oh gahh and then she'd just laugh at the most unfunny things which would get us laughing too. One time we were all staying at Grandma's but some of us weren't there yet. So when we walked in we all sat down to the most grusome, most graphic horror movie I've ever seen in my life. I couldn't believe that my dear sweet Grandma was watching such a thing. Not only was she intently watching she was laughing histaricly at all the bloody goory parts. While Grandma laughed I sat in the corrner with a blanket over my eyes trying not to burst into tears, and then I had nightmares it was terrible but it showed me how brave and tuff Grandma really was. If I was living alone and watching that stuff at her age I'd have a hernia!
I'll miss spending time with Grandmas. Making memories with her. I'll miss going to Grandma's house each year to set up her Christmas lights, I'll miss getting her Christmas Tree and watching her inspect it. I'll miss her stories. I'll miss her blunt opinions. I'll miss hearing her tell me how much I've grown up with two gapping eyes staring right at my chest. I'll miss hearing Grandma's voice, her never satisfied tone, her light happy laugh. I'll miss it all. I'll miss you Grandma and I'll never forget the time we spent together. It's times like these that make me wish I was the oldest just so I could have more time with the ones I love, but the time I have had had has been the most amazing anyone could ask for. Thanks Grandma! I love you!
-Sarah-

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, that's awesome, I have some of those same memories of Grandma, but you put it all into words so well! I had to laugh! Grandma was awesome!

    ReplyDelete