Saturday, June 20, 2009

1950 and Beyond

Last night I was able to go to pagent and there at our cast meeting was the one and only L. Tom Perry. That's right folks it was amazing! And I Sarah Ann walked right up to that young man and I looked him in the eyes and I shook his hand. He has a good strong grip too I thought my hand might fall off but it was awesome! Then I went to do my scenes and it was so cool because it was windy so we all looked totally awesome and then Jesus came and ahh i don't know it was just really cool. After that I went to Grandma and Grandpa's house and Grandpa read me his patriarcle blessing that he got in 1950 and he told me some really amazing stories about his life. He said he always tried to live up to his blessing and as he read it he would stop and say "And that's come true" and he would tell me all the people that he has been able to help and the people at the temple that told him he was the best example they had. Of course he told me about tree toping experiences but he told me some new ones and how the spirt lets him now what he needs to do to get the trees in the right place. He said he has never had a burning in his busom but it's always a quiet peacful feeling when somthing is right. It was so amazing to look at Grandpa's blessing and his life and to see the way that they matched up. Grandpa also told me about some of his war experiences. And the sargent guy could always count on him to do what ever he asked him to do without a word he would just do what he had to do. And I didn't know Grandpa had his hand while he was in the army cuz everyone always told me he lost it when he was 17 or 18 but Grandpa cleared this up for me real nice like. If you have never heard the story of how Grandpa lost his hand from grandpa, then you don't really know the story. It's really a pretty grusome story. 9 days after he got home from war he was picking corn with the corn picker and got his hand in there he was 23. He never screamed for yelled he just gritted his teeth and held on because it didn't break it he just had to rip it off. He gave me a visual of all the tendends hanging off and all the nasty stringy stuff but I won't go into that for you nice people. Anyway he just held it tight with his other hand and he was holdin it so tight it wasn't bleeding and so he walked over to a neghbors house and the lady made him lay down until her son got the car and took him to the hospital. It was only cut off right ubove his thumb but they had to take it ubove the rist and when everyone came to see him he was happy and cheerful and joking around with everyone. His mom asked him if it just took it right off or what and he said ya it's still in the corn picker if ya wanna see it. But from the minute it happened he just took it and delt with it. He said the first thing that came to his mind was how am i ever going to play the gitar again but his dad gave him a blessing and told him that he would be able to do all those things that he desired to do and he was able to. It was so cool to hear all his stories just me and him and Grandma and Hannah talking and listening to his stories!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome Sarah. Those are memories you will always treasure with Grandpa. And with L. Tom Perry! I got to meet an apostle once. It was Russel M. Neilson. As I reached out to shake his hand, I dropped all of my papers and they spread out nicely right in front of him. So I hurried to gather them up so he could walk through the hall and I missed the hand shake. Too bad. He probably thought I was a real doosey!

    ReplyDelete